Earthjustice is the nation’s premier nonprofit environmental law organization. We take on the biggest, most precedent-setting cases across the country. We wield the power of law and the strength of partnership to protect people’s health; to preserve magnificent places and wildlife; to advance clean energy; and to combat climate change. We partner with thousands of groups, supporters, individuals and communities to engage the critical environmental issues of our time, and bring about positive change. We are here because the earth needs a good lawyer.
Founded in 1971, Earthjustice has a distinguished track record of achieving significant, lasting environmental protections. We achieve this by hiring people who share a passion for justice and a healthy environment. Our headquarters are in San Francisco with thirteen offices across the U.S.
JOB DESCRIPTIONThis position provides administrative support to Policy and Legislation staff and assists in the implementation of legislative and administrative strategies on environmental issue priorities for Earthjustice.
Lobbyist Support (60%)
- Attends, takes accurate notes and reports back on legislative hearings and briefings as directed by PAL lobbyists.
- Attends and takes accurate notes on conference calls as directed by PAL lobbyists.
- Assists PAL staff in lobbying Congress as directed by PAL lobbyists (phone calls, community lobby days) and reports the results of same.
- Manages Hill e-mail blasts.
- Schedules Hill meetings as directed by PAL lobbyists.
- Monitors legislation and federal rules of interest to PAL.
- Keeps apprised of issue areas PAL staff work on.
- Act as general point of contact for the department for Hill staff, the public, clients and other Earthjustice staff.
- Coordinates and organizes fly-ins and events, including budget management, travel, catering, meeting scheduling and serves as main contact for attendees.
- Plans and staffs events like Hill briefings, receptions and meetings as requested by PAL lobbyists.
- Manages sign on letters.
- Researches, writes, proofreads and edits a variety of materials including but not limited to fact sheets, action alerts, memos, and blogs.
- Creates and maintains vote/target list/vote count spreadsheets and databases as requested by PAL staff.
- Conducts research on Members of Congress and issues of interest to PAL.
- Moderates listservs for lobbyists as requested.
- Monitors media coverage of interest to PAL.
- Assists in booking travel for clients and partners.
- Assists Communications Strategist, Policy and Legislation as requested.
Administrative Support/Internal Coordination (15%)
- Stays apprised of technology of help to the department (such as bill tracking software).
- Serves as liaison between PAL and Earthjustice Web Master, e-mail alert team and other Earthjustice departments as directed by supervisor.
- Assists Social Media team with PAL twitter account scheduling, drafting social media materials, and live-tweeting as requested.
- Assists Office Manager regarding PAL administrative functions and needs as requested.
- Recruits, supervises, and manages projects of PAL interns.
- Experience with the legislative process and/ or environmental experience a plus
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Strong computer skills, including Microsoft Office 2016 (Word, Excel, Power Point, Access), Google Drive, and CongressPlus.
- Strong organization skills, including ability to handle multiple tasks, projects and deadlines.
- Outstanding oral and written communications skills, including excellent command of spelling, punctuation and grammar.
- Good judgment, professionalism, composure under pressure, and a sense of humor.
- Proven ability to take initiative.
- Demonstrates an awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds and orientations.
- Contributes to the creation of a diverse, equitable and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates differences.
We offer a mission- and employee-focused work environment and a competitive compensation package, including excellent benefits. Earthjustice is an equal opportunity employer and highly values diversity. Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.