Over the next decade, solar energy will leapfrog the electricity grid in developing countries much like cell phones leapfrogged landlines. SunFunder is dedicated to financing this emerging solar market transformation.
SunFunder is a solar energy finance business with a mission to provide financing for solar assets in emerging economies, including inventory, working capital, construction, and structured finance loans. SunFunder is a well-positioned financial intermediary that has been operating since 2012.
We offer borrowers a deep solar market expertise, an efficient due diligence process and strong customer partnerships, while simultaneously providing investors with diversified, high-impact, fixed income debt offerings of emerging market solar investments.
Reports to: Head of Risk
Start date: ASAP
The Portfolio Manager will be responsible for overseeing loan portfolios for SunFunder-managed funds and ensure that SunFunder has adequate risk oversight and controls over active loans. Through timely and effective monitoring and reporting, they will flag potential problem loans and ensure that events of default are effectively actioned to reduce the rate of non-performing loans. He/she will also support the Head of Risk on advising investment deal teams on transactions.
- Initially provide feedback on SunFunder’s current monitoring procedures and implement improvements. Ensure that all the necessary controls and systems are in place to address the risks encountered in the post-credit granting stage of the credit process.
- Review Investment Memos for small and medium transactions for clearance to proceed to the Credit Committee for quality control
- Review and approve disbursement requests for compliance with applicable loan requirements (covenants are met, collateral in legal order).
- Own collection and analysis of loan portfolio data and preparation of reports, play a lead role on portfolio client communication.
- Monitor loan covenant compliance, and ensure timely evaluation of borrower financials, operating performance, collateral coverage and repayment ability. Manage 1-2 portfolio analysts to produce these results.
- Monitor and resolve any loan billing or collection issues and coordinate with investment team to undertake increased scrutiny and monitoring of high risk loans. Ensure that accounts identified as problematic are placed on the watch list and re-risk graded to reflect their current irregular status.
- Manage delinquencies and borrower workouts through effective turnaround plans, working with the Investment team to coordinate remedial action and escalate to the legal team when required.
- Perform periodic inspections to ensure adherence and compliance to all processes, policies and procedure.
- Ensure that at all times, loan information is accurately represented in the loan management system and correct these where discrepancies are identified.
Qualifications / What We’re Looking For:
- 5+ years of direct lending or portfolio management experience for a development finance institution, commercial bank or other specialized financial institution, including good understanding of fundamental credit metrics and potential warning signs.
- Strong financial analysis and cash flow modeling skills, with attention to detail.
- Ideally strong understanding of residential and commercial solar energy business models, and project/asset finance structures
- Experience or a proven ability to understand commercial aspects of a transaction and to offer a balanced solution
- CFA or similar certification
- Ideally- strong understanding of residential and commercial solar energy business models, and project/asset finance structures
- Has lived and worked in emerging economies, particularly East or West Africa
- Proven track record of making things happen in an entrepreneurial environment, willing to challenge the way we’re doing things, “get your hands dirty” and perform unglamorous roles from time to time, and ability to thrive in a rapidly changing environment
- SunFunder is a distributed team. As such, it is most important that you are someone who over communicates, is highly organized and results-oriented, is self-motivated and self-disciplined, exhibits high emotional intelligence (great listening) and is willing and able to learn new tech tools/ systems. Other qualities that are important to us include: a positive attitude, intellectual curiosity, possesses a low-ego and a good sense of humor
We offer a competitive compensation package including equity, generous benefits, a unique work culture for an ambitious startup that strongly encourages a healthy life-work balance, and an opportunity to work with a fun, passionate and talented international team.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, please follow the link below.