SparkMeter is a venture-backed company that was founded in late 2013, a spin-off of the non-profit EarthSpark International. We developed our low-cost, pre-pay enabled, smart metering system as a solution for electric utilities in developing countries to serve low-income customers. Our metering system is being widely adopted by utilities serving customers in rural parts of Asia, Sub-Saharan Africa, and Latin America and the Caribbean.
Come join SparkMeter’s Commercial Operations team and help increase electricity access in developing countries. As a Commercial Operations Intern, you’ll support our work with utility customers by expanding our capabilities to keep up with growing product demand.
What We Do
SparkMeter makes it possible for utilities in developing markets to bring electricity to the 2.1 billion people in the world without reliable access today. Energy poverty is the circumstance of depending on low quality fuels and inefficient end uses, or conversely, the lack of access to modern energy services. Energy poverty is one of the defining global issues of our time, and access to electricity is essential to eradicating energy poverty and empowering individuals, communities and economies, to reach their potential.
SparkMeter provides smart metering solutions tailor-made for rural and central utilities in developing markets, where 2.1 billion people live without reliable electricity access. The simple plug-and-play solution enables utilities operating in remote locations to access a range of features - prepaid billing, customer communications, and remote monitoring and control – that improve their operations and help them achieve financial sustainability.
What You’ll Do
As a Commercial Operations Intern, you’ll work to improve SparkMeter’s engagement with microgrid utilities all over the world. While you may occasionally work with our customers over the phone, on video calls, and over email, your primary responsibility will be to build out new tools and resources to ensure our customers are getting everything they need from us as they build and expand their grid projects using our products. You’ll have the opportunity to learn hands-on about commercial operations and managing customer experience, and you’ll get immersive exposure to the world of energy access and off-grid electrification.
You’ll focus on:
- Business systems support. You will help us continue to refine the tools we use to manage information about leads and customers. This includes creating forms, keeping information up to date in Salesforce, and helping with analytics. (No prior experience necessary, but it is an advantage!)
- Managing early stage sales pipeline. You will email our prospects to collect information about their projects.
We’ll work with you to define adjust your projects depending on your strengths and interests and skills. In your first few months you may:
- Develop marketing materials. You’ll help us create FAQs, newsletters (content creation and email distribution), and other marketing materials to help our prospects and customers understand our products. You will think from their perspective to help define what resources would be most useful to understand the features of our metering system.
- Support content marketing and PR. You’ll help create articles, advertisements, and press releases for SparkMeter and get them out in the world.
- Prep for conferences. SparkMeter attends many international conferences. You will support the team with administrative work (registration, logistics, etc.), content creation (such as Powerpoint Presentations), and materials procurement (printing handouts, booth materials, etc.)
- Manage social media accounts. Help develop SparkMeter’s social media presence and manage engagement with market players through these media.
- Assist with file management. You may create company templates from SparkMeter’s brand guide (e.g. letterhead and powerpoint template) and organize marketing files in DropBox and Google drive (e.g. photographs, logo files, templates, marketing collateral). You will also roll out SparkMeter’s new branding on existing materials to ensure good look and feel standardization.
Where You'll Work
SparkMeter’s Commercial Operations team is based in Washington, D.C. We would love for you to join us here! We think you will get the most out of your internship experience if you can join us in Washington, though we will consider highly qualified candidates located in other areas.
Type of Role & Compensation Structure
This paid internship reports to the Director of Commercial Operations and begins June 2018. This role may end up being part time or full time. Please specify your location and hours availability when you apply. This role has the possibility for growth – either through extending your internship into the fall of 2018 or through transitioning to a full or part-time role. This payment for this internship will be $15.00/hr.
Requirements & Skills
You will be a good fit for this internship if you have:
- Strong writing skills. In order to create great documentation, you should have excellent writing skills.
- Experience working with customers. Whether you have worked in a service job or have volunteered or interned in an organization that involved directly helping others, you should be comfortable engaging with customers via email and over the phone and helping solve their problems.
- Uncommonly organized problem-solver. You love devising new systems and getting all things in their right place.
- Disciplined self-starter. We value leadership from everyone in our company. If you see a place where you can contribute, we welcome initiative and new ideas.
- Empathy. Our customers and partners are all over the world and come from many different backgrounds. You should be comfortable and enjoy talking with people different from yourself and able to imagine yourself in someone else’s shoes in order to imagine the problems and challenges they experience in their day-to-day.
- Interest in energy or energy access. We work in a fascinating, high-impact space. Many of our customers are microgrid developers who are at the forefront of leveraging renewable energy to increase access to electricity. Your connection to our mission will both inform your work and make it meaningful for you.
- Three years towards an undergraduate degree, or equivalent experience. This internship is a great fit for someone who is in graduate school or interested in changing careers. You should be a recent graduate or at least in your third year of your undergraduate degree, or have equivalent professional or life experience.
- Fluency in English. Our work is conducted in English, but we work with customers all over the world. Fluency in French is most desired, though Swahili, Hindi, French, Spanish, and other languages are useful as well!
We’d also like to see (but don’t require) experience with:
- CRM Management. We use Salesforce as our CRM to track opportunities and generate quotations for customers. Ideally, you should have some experience with Salesforce or another CRM system for tracking opportunities, generating quotations, and creating reports. SparkMeter uses many customized features within Salesforce, so comfort with adding custom fields and features is a plus.
- Energy access domain knowledge. Whether you are interested in renewable energy, sustainable development, or energy access, having some exposure or interest in the field in which we work will help you better understand our customers, where they are coming from, and their needs.
- Marketing and communications. Ideally you will have worked in marketing or sales and are comfortable creating content that represents our brand and value proposition.
Please note that you’ll be expected to use your own computer for your work with us.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, please follow the link below.