The Connecticut Green Bank is the nation’s first green bank.* Established by the Connecticut General Assembly on July 1, 2011 as a part of Public Act 11-80, Connecticut Green Bank supports the Governor’s and Legislature’s energy strategy to achieve cleaner, less expensive, and more reliable sources of energy while creating jobs and supporting local economic development. The Connecticut Green Bank evolved from the Connecticut Clean Energy Fund (CCEF) and the Clean Energy Finance and Investment Authority (CEFIA), which was given a broader mandate in 2011 to become the Connecticut Green Bank.
JOB DESCRIPTIONThe Connecticut Green Bank (CGB) is seeking a Summer Associate for the summer of 2018 to work within the Clean Energy Finance team of the CGB. Responsibilities of the position will range from (i.) analyzing and monitoring CGB's current investment portfolio to (ii.) working alongside finance and program professionals to research, identify, structure, underwrite, and place new investments into target markets, projects, and programs. In this role, candidates will be directly contributing to the CGB's organizational goals of developing and capitalizing clean energy projects within the State of Connecticut. Candidates will also be encouraged to take on responsibilities that align with both their own personal interests and the pursuits of the organization. Our externship opportunities are designed to provide individual students with advanced training and research opportunities in areas of particular interest to them that go beyond what is traditionally offered in a classroom setting.
CGB is a quasi-public authority that designs and structures financial products and transactions that foster the deployment, growth, development and commercialization of clean energy.
A summer internship with the CGB is an exciting opportunity to gain valuable experience in a unique, innovative work environment. We are seeking candidates with a strong interest in sustainable energy/energy efficiency and/or energy finance who wish to match their academic pursuits with relevant professional work experience.
The ideal candidate will demonstrate the following high-level competencies:
Can the candidate do the work typically required of a Green Banker?*
- Does the candidate exhibit good judgment in critical thinking scenarios?
- Can the candidate communicate sufficiently well?
- Can the candidate function in a team environment?
- Is the candidate passionate about the opportunity?*
The ideal candidate will be able to demonstrate competencies associated with the work typically required of a Green Banker by exhibiting either professional experience, academic background, or sufficient aptitude in:
- Understanding how the different levels of the capital stack (Senior Debt, Subordinated Debt, Equity, Tax Equity) impact both projects/companies and investors
- How cash flows and risks are allocated across various project finance, structured finance, and corporate finance scenarios in association with the capital tranches listed above
- How the combination of capital tranches, cash flows, and risk profiles are used to develop clean energy projects from a bottom-up perspective
- How energy markets, policy, incentives, and private capital flows interact with customer demand and target markets to impact clean energy deployment from a top-down perspective
Additional Preferred Qualifications:
- Mastery in the Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and other software programs as necessary
- Proficiency in Bloomberg and data analytics a plus
REQUIREMENTS & BENEFITS
The candidate can expect the following of his/her summer experience:
- This internship may qualify for academic credit and CGB will work with the selected candidate's academic institution to coordinate
- This internship may qualify for school/club-eligible funding
- Opportunity to learn from, and contribute to, a best-in-class organization
- Opportunity to be a part of the team (not just an intern)
- Ability to help "shape" the experience based on the candidate's abilities, interests, and professionalism
- Reference/attribution for any work published during working tenure
- Unique opportunity to network both within CGB and across external 3rd parties
The candidate will be expected to:
- Be currently matriculated in a Master's or other post graduate degree program relevant to clean energy or finance and be at least rising seniors.
- Applicants must have demonstrated interest in clean energy finance and/or policy through their coursework, work experience and/or extracurricular activities.
- Primarily work out of CGB's Stamford, CT office, with the ability to spend time in Rocky Hill, CT and other locations as deemed appropriate
- Adhere to all rules and regulations required of CGB staff
- Maintain a level of professionalism and integrity appropriate of a contributing member of the team and organization
The Connecticut Green Bank will not provide funding for paid internships for the summer of 2018. The Connecticut Green Bank also makes no assurance that such unpaid internship will lead to a full-time or permanent employment opportunity.
HOW TO APPLYTo apply, please follow the link below.
Don't forget to mention you found this opportunity on Cleantekker!