Rocky Mountain Institute is an independent, entrepreneurial, nonprofit think-and-do tank that drives the efficient and restorative use of resources and is currently focused on accelerating the U.S. transition from fossil fuels to efficiency and renewables. Established in 1982 by Amory Lovins, RMI began as a small group of colleagues focusing on energy solutions. It has since grown into a broad-based Institute with approximately 150 full-time staff, an annual budget of $30 million, and a global reach.RMI is engaged in research that addresses pragmatic designs, practices, and business models, not social theories or laboratory experiments. We work on all parts of the solution process—idea, strategy, and implementation—in the high impact areas of electricity, mobility and vehicle efficiency, electricity, energy and resource use, and the built environment (both existing and new).
RMI has offices in Basalt and Boulder, Colorado, New York City, Beijing, China, and Washington, D.C.
Rocky Mountain Institute is seeking a Media Relations Associate (equivalent to Assistant Account Executive or Account Executive at public relations and marketing agencies) with 1–5 years of experience in the media and communications field. This hire will become a full-time member of a 15-person Marketing and Communications team, working with individual program marketers on the creation and execution of media engagement strategies in support of overall programmatic communications campaigns. Specific responsibilities include: pitching the media; coordinating interviews, messaging briefs, and recaps; monitoring the media; responding to media inquiries; building and maintaining media relationships; and providing administrative support for PR activities.
This position is located in New York and reports to the Media Relations, Senior Associate.
- Craft nuanced pitches for media
- Pitch top tier energy and trade media
- Monitor the media and report on coverage
- Draft RMI’s weekly media coverage newsletter
- Execute and manage PR plans for all programs
- Create organization announcements in partnership with the team’s program marketers (who are responsible for overall program communications)
- Coordinate meetings/interviews, capture action items, and update status reports
- Monitor social and traditional media and stay ahead of news events and media trends/conversations in key RMI industries
- Identify proactive opportunities for media engagement across RMI
- Draft and coordinate production and dissemination of press releases, media alerts, and social media content
- Support reactive media requests for organizational information, commentary/interviews, spokespeople, and event participation
- Use analytics to measure and report on progress on strategy
- Work with in-house editorial, design, and digital/social media services to execute PR campaigns
- Support press events experience—organizational/planning/admin, assisting on the day
- Support video and photography—basic editing skills for video and images and assisting/directing photographer and videographer at event
- 1-5 years media relations experience, either from the client or agency side
- Highly professional and organized
- Creative, meticulous attention to detail, and ability to multitask
- Excellent communication and writing skills (knowledge of AP Style preferred)
- Ability to turn around high-quality work on tight deadlines
- Familiarity with the following technologies and programs:
- Cision, Meltwater, PR Newswire, or equivalents
- Google (Gmail, Gchat, Google Calendar, Google Drive), Skype, Microsoft PowerPoint, Excel
- Social media channels: Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, LinkedIn
- Knowledge of and interest in energy, finance, and global sustainability issues
- Positive, highly motivated, and flexible with changing deadlines and workloads
- Self-starter with strong initiative
- Ability to work with multiple teams on multiple projects and deliver against wider organizational goals
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing, public relations, journalism, or English
- Eloquent and articulate; confident telephone manner and salesmanship style
- Determined and resolved when pitching stories to media
- A newshound who lives and breathes daily news
- A fast learner who can take a complex idea/topic and can explain it in a simple, accessible, and engaging way
What we offer
- Comprehensive Health Plans
- 403b Retirement Options (immediate matching)
- Culture of Learning
- Commuter & Wellness program
- Healthy Lunches and Snacks
- Appreciation of Work-Life Balance
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, please follow the link below.
Don't forget to mention you found this opportunity on Cleantekker!