The WattTime software platform enables any IoT device to automatically consume cleaner energy by syncing the times it draws power with moments of surplus clean energy on the local grid. We are both a tech startup, and an environmental nonprofit and subsidiary of the Rocky Mountain Institute.
WattTime, a nonprofit startup and subsidiary of the Rocky Mountain Institute, has an immediate opening for an Analyst with prior consulting experience and passion for environmental protection.
Who we are
When you use electricity, what actual power plant created that energy? A coal plant? A solar farm? Normally, there’s no way to know. But WattTime's novel software stack can detect and even changewhich power plants the grid dispatches to power any device. We can add this feature to anything that consumes or stores energy and has an Internet connection (which is now billions of devices). This enables many environmental benefits, from instantly cutting carbon emissions to accelerating the growth of renewable energy.
We’re a tech startup and an environmental nonprofit, catalyzing a movement to make technology like this the new normal for Internet-connected devices worldwide. Our team is small (7 employees) yet surprisingly mighty (e.g. Google and Microsoft leverage our technology). We recently became a subsidiary of the Rocky Mountain Institute.
WattTime is looking for someone with prior consulting experience to help large, influential institutions and companies with ambitious sustainability goals understand how the development of a groundbreaking new environmental technology affects their strategies. As WattTime’s first Analyst, you’ll work with Fortune 500 companies, NGOs, government, researchers, and utilities to identify, analyze, and execute on innovative new ways to use WattTime technology to reduce carbon emissions. You’ll apply software and rich data sets to challenges such as the siting and operation of wind farms, solar, and other power plants, the design of utility demand response programs, and architectural choices in green building. You’ll rapidly become a leading expert in this emerging field. We'll help you develop area knowledge in these topics. We are seeking someone with talent for working with clients, experience with data analysis and modeling, and an eagerness to dive into new fields.
What you'll do
- Conduct analyses of the implications of new data generated by WattTime for large institutions’ sustainability strategies, including both their emissions and bottom lines
- Prepare reports, presentations, and other deliverables that synthesize results clearly and simply
- Work with sustainability and energy teams at client organizations to understand their needs
- Work with clients to understand organizational needs and identify opportunities for greater environmental impact
- 2+ years prior consulting experience
- Excellent spreadsheet modeling skills – ideally in a consumer-facing business
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in economics, sustainability, energy, public policy, or similar
- Willingness to plunge into unfamiliar disciplines
- Excellent writing skills and presentation preparation capability
- Strong verbal communication skills
- Highly collaborative, strong team player
- Desire to influence decision makers on important issues
- Commitment to the environmental and social goals of WattTime
- Work experience or graduate degree in relevant content area (carbon accounting, environmental economics, corporate sustainability, power systems, or mechanical engineering)
- Proficiency working with SQL (Postgres, MySQL) or Python
- Experience in business development
What we offer
- A chance to move the needle on climate change by changing the behavior of some of the world’s largest and most influential institutions
- A rare opportunity to become an influential expert in a popular field
- Strong opportunities for advancement within WattTime, and exposure to the RMI network
- Competitive compensation in the non-profit sector
- Exceptional benefits package including medical, dental, vision, HSA, Flex accounts, disability, and more
- Flexible work policies and unlimited vacation
We are practical idealists who believe nothing has more potential for world-changing impact, fast, than software. We embrace change. We are lean and rapid prototypers who never confuse growth with impact. We are fiercely committed to our mission. We trust data, research, and science. We punch above our weight by working with allies, volunteers, and partners and maintaining a flat organization in which everyone’s voice is heard. We consider respect non-negotiable; there are no jerks here. We also are convinced that diversity is central to success, and strongly encourage applications from people with all backgrounds. WattTime is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) and does not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, disability, or sexual orientation or classification.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, please follow the link below.
Don't forget to mention you found this opportunity on Cleantekker!