The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
Foreign and Commonwealth Office (Policy & Political roles)
Global Issues Team
The British Embassy in Washington, DC is looking for a dynamic and capable Policy Advisor to join the Energy & Environment Team in the Global and Economic Policy Group (GEPG). The Team provides strategic advice to the UK government across the full range of US energy and environmental issues, and works to increase UK-US collaboration on these topics. We support UK domestic and international objectives by promoting energy security and the transition to a low-carbon global economy.
The Policy Advisor, Energy & Environment will join GEPG, one of the most varied and fast-paced departments in the Embassy. The Group is responsible for the UK government’s work in the US on economic, financial and social policy; trade and business issues; energy and environmental security; transport, science, innovation and research. The job holder will work closely with other Embassy teams, the political team and our network of Consulates around the US. The Policy Advisor will work particularly closely with the Department for International Trade team to promote UK commercial objectives.
The successful candidate will have a strong understanding of US energy and climate policy, both at the state and federal levels, and at least some knowledge of UK policies and government structures. S/he will be a credible interlocutor with contacts in the US, specifically business and investors, state and local government, and non-governmental organizations. The Policy Advisor will proactively develop ideas and strategies to foster UK-US collaboration on energy and environment issues. The successful candidate will report to the Senior Policy Advisor, Energy & Environment, and be part of a five-member team with colleagues in Houston and San Francisco.
- Monitor and analyze US domestic energy, climate change, and low-carbon policies and initiatives with a particular focus on the Eastern US and the federal government
- Provide regular high-quality reporting (written and verbal) on US developments to inform UK policy and contribute proactively to policy discussions
- Design and deliver projects and events to support closer UK-US collaboration on energy and low-carbon developments
- Advocate British interests with a range of key US interlocutors to promote UK priorities and policy interests
- Take responsibility for structuring and delivering visits to the US by UK ministers and senior officials
- Develop and maintain contacts within Congress, the Federal Administration, industry, and non-governmental stakeholders to support all of the above duties and responsibilities
- Work closely with colleagues throughout the US network of Consulates and UK Government Offices in the Eastern US to provide clear direction that enables others to monitor energy and climate issues, as well as deliver relevant projects
Essential qualifications and experience
- A strong background in energy policy is essential
- A minimum of 3-5 years relevant experience, with knowledge of US stakeholders essential
- A minimum of a bachelor's degree is required; advanced degree desirable, with economic, policy, or environmental focus preferred
- Must be able to represent the UK at external meetings, and win the confidence of senior stakeholders, including US and UK officials
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to explain complex issues to diverse audiences
- Must be a proven self-starter with the ability to work both independently and collaboratively, possess excellent organizational and interpersonal skills, and adapt to fast-paced and shifting demands
- Demonstrated experience in project management and delivery preferred
- Knowledge of UK policy strengths and priorities a strong plus
- Ability and willingness to travel occasionally
The Embassy may only employ for this position, as non-diplomatic staff, persons who are US citizens, US Green Card holders or A or NATO visa holders with EAD cards*. If you hold a visa other than an A or NATO visa you are not currently eligible to work at the Embassy. Please refer to our website for information on exceptions to this policy at www.gov.uk/government/world/usa. All candidates will be subject to background checks and security clearance.
*A visas or NATO visas with EAD cards are acceptable at the Embassy, Consulates, and British Defence Staff (BDS) outposts. The UK Mission to the UN (UKMIS) accepts G visas.
Leading and Communicating, Collaborating and Partnering, Managing a Quality Service, Delivering at Pace
17 December 2017
Type of Position
Working hours per week
N. America, Caribbean and British Overseas Territories
Type of Post
Number of vacancies
Starting yearly salary (USD)
26 February 2018
Other benefits and conditions of employment
The British Embassy Network offers a strong benefits package. This package includes medical, dental, vision, life, long term and short term disability insurance, a 401(k) retirement savings plan, generous vacation and leave time, and an enriching training package.
Staff recruited locally by the British Embassy are subject to terms and conditions of service according to local American employment law.
Resume and a cover letter with salary history should be submitted by 17 December 2017. Internal candidates must inform the Head of Group before applying.
Only successful candidates will be contacted. Please no phone calls. Due to the high volume of resumes we receive, we cannot guarantee consideration of your application if the submission instructions are not properly followed.
The British Embassy is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a diverse workforce. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, disability, age, veteran status, sexual orientation or other category protected by law.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, please follow the link below.
Don't forget to mention you found this opportunity on Cleantekker!
December 17, 2017