SparkMeter is a venture-backed company that was founded in late 2013, a spin-off of the non-profit EarthSpark International. We developed our low-cost, pre-pay enabled, smart metering system as a solution for electric utilities in developing countries to serve low-income customers. Our metering system is being widely adopted by utilities serving customers in rural parts of Asia, Sub-Saharan Africa, and Latin America and the Caribbean.
SparkMeter makes it possible for utilities in developing markets to bring electricity to the 2.1 billion people in the world without reliable access today. Energy poverty is the circumstance of depending on low quality fuels and inefficient end uses, or conversely, the lack of access to modern energy services. Energy poverty is one of the defining global issues of our time, and access to electricity is essential to eradicating energy poverty and empowering individuals, communities and economies, to reach their potential.
SparkMeter provides smart metering solutions tailor-made for rural and central utilities in developing markets, where 2.1 billion people live without reliable electricity access. The simple plug-and-play solution enables utilities operating in remote locations to access a range of features - prepaid billing, customer communications, and remote monitoring and control – that improve their operations and help them achieve financial sustainability.
What You’ll Do
As a Commercial Operations Intern, you’ll work directly with microgrid and central grid operators and developers all over the world. You’ll engage with our customers over the phone, on video calls, and over email, build out new tools and resources, and help us make sure that our customers are getting everything they need from us as they build and expand their grid projects using our products. You’ll have the opportunity to learn hands-on about commercial operations and managing customer experience, and you’ll get immersive exposure to the world of energy access and off-grid electrification.
You’ll work on:
- Manage early stage sales pipeline. You will email our prospects to learn more about their projects.
- Market research. You will research tenders and market developments and work to identify possible distributors and microgrid partners in various markets. No prior experience necessary.
- Salesforce support. You will help us build out Salesforce as a tool for our needs. This includes: creating forms, keeping information up to date, and helping with analytics.
- We’ll also work with you to define specific projects that speak to your interests and skills.
Where You'll Work
SparkMeter’s Commercial Operations team is based in Washington, D.C. We would love for you to join us here! We think you’ll get the most out of your internship experience if you can join us in Washington.
This paid internship reports to the Director of Commercial Operations and begins as soon as you’re available and ends in May 2018. You should expect to work about 10-15 hours per week. This role has the possibility for growth – either through extending your internship into the summer of 2018 or through transitioning to a full or part-time role. Payment for this internship will be $15/hr.
SparkMeter was founded to promote opportunity in underrepresented communities.
SparkMeter’s mission is to increase access to electricity in underserved communities. We believe that access to electricity and the services derived from it unlock human potential and create opportunities for underserved communities to achieve great things. This commitment is also reflected in our hiring ethos: we believe the strongest teams have diverse backgrounds. We encourage applications from members of groups currently underrepresented in our sector and in technology in general.
Requirements & Skills
You will be a good fit for this internship if you have:
- Experience working with customers. Whether you have worked in a service job or have volunteered or interned in an organization that involved directly helping others, you should be comfortable engaging with customers via email and over the phone.
- Uncommon organizational skills. You love devising new systems and getting all things in their right place.
- A sense of independence. We value leadership from everyone in our company. If you see a place where you can contribute, we welcome initiative and new ideas.
- Empathy. Our customers and partners are all over the world and come from many different backgrounds. You should be comfortable and enjoy talking with people different from yourself and able to imagine yourself in someone else’s shoes in order to imagine the problems and challenges they experience in their day-to-day.
- Comfort with technology. While you don’t need to be an engineer (although if you are one, great!), you should be interested in how things work and comfortable learning about and talking about computers, science and engineering concepts, and electricity.
- Interest in energy or energy access. We work in a fascinating, high-impact space. Many of our customers are microgrid developers who are at the forefront of leveraging renewable energy to increase access to electricity. Whether you are interested in renewable energy, sustainable development, or energy access, having some exposure or interest in the field in which we work will help you better understand our customers, where they are coming from, and their needs.
- Three years towards an undergraduate degree, or equivalent experience. This internship is a great fit for someone who is about the enter the workforce for the first time, or is interested in changing careers. You should be a recent graduate or at least in your third year of your undergraduate degree, or have equivalent professional or life experience.
- Fluency in English. Our work is conducted in English, but we work with customers all over the world. Fluency in French is most desired, though Swahili, Hindi, French, Spanish, and other languages are useful as well!
Please note that you’ll be expected to use your own computer for your work with us.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, please follow the link below.
Don't forget to mention you found this opportunity on Cleantekker!