Off Grid Electric, through its consumer brand Zola, combines Silicon Valley technology with local expertise to offer African homes and businesses a long-term solar solution to an unreliable grid. Adaptable to both energy needs and income, Off Grid Electric’s solution can be bought over time through a leasing structure. The first few watts starts a chain reaction that enables people to achieve commonly held aspirations: security, education, access to information, and a longer and more efficient day. Today, Off Grid Electric powers more than 100,000 homes and businesses across Tanzania, Rwanda and Côte d’Ivoire.
Off Grid Electric’s investors include: SolarCity, Vulcan Capital, DBL Partners, The Packard Foundation, Helios Investment Partners, and responsibility. Off Grid Electric is the recipient of the 2016 UN Momentum for Change Award, Zayed Future Energy Prize, and the 2015 Global Cleantech 100. For more information, visit offgrid-electric.com.
JOB DESCRIPTIONOff Grid Electric is a growth-stage startup that’s on track to light a million homes in Africa over the next couple years with clean, affordable solar energy (see the articles at the bottom of this post). At the heart of our business is innovative solutions that delight our customers. We‘re now looking for a skilled Mechanical Engineer to help us build world-class energy solutions for Africa.
This may be your dream job if you’re someone who dreams of combining your knowledge and skills enabling Off Grid Electric to change the renewable energy landscape. You’ll also need to be passionate about bringing solar energy to off-grid and other underserved markets — billions of people around the world — with the unique social, technical, and business challenges that come along with it. You love those uncrackable problems–the ones that you have a knack for cracking–and are inspired by the opportunity to unleash whole continents of human potential, and motivated to help build a truly epic business.
Off Grid Electric is seeking for a Mechanical Engineer, Battery Systems to join our team in San Francisco. The Mechanical Engineer is a skilled and motivated individual to design and develop our battery enclosure and thermal management system. The Mechanical Engineer will collaborate with a cross-functional team of engineers to deliver best in class battery enclosures that will enable a more reliable and sustainable global electric infrastructure. This innovative team player will be responsible for:
- Create and develop component and system requirements and specifications.
- Part and assembly design, from concept to detail design to manufacturing introduction.
- Detailed mechanical design for a wide range of production fabrication processes in order to optimize performance and cost.
- Create, manage, release, and maintain BOM’s.
- Thermal and mechanical modeling and testing of components.
- Interface with suppliers for manufacturing feasibility, validation, and other engineering activities, as necessary.
- Insure designs are compatible with high volume, high quality manufacturing and assembly processes and are appropriately serviceable.
- Create component and subsystem design verification plans and test methods.
- Complete component and system validation as required, ensuring system targets are met and optimized.
- Support subsystem and battery pack prototype builds as well as production introductions.
The successful candidate will possess or demonstrate the following personal and professional attributes:
- Bachelor of Science or higher in mechanical engineering, or equivalent in experience and exceptional ability.
- Work efficiently and productively in independent and team settings
- Demonstrated talent for conceiving efficient design solutions to complex engineering challenges.
- Working knowledge of GD&T required, proficiency preferred.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and ability to integrate state-of-the-art design and manufacturing methods into product concepts and designs.
- Experience with medium to high volume (40k-250k units/year) production.
- Knowledge of relevant manufacturing processes and a variety of engineering materials.
- Familiarity with and experience designing any or all of the following: electrical interfaces, electrical insulators, electrical conductors, thermal interfaces, thermal management systems, and sealing systems is desired.
- Travel to some of the loveliest and most exotic parts of Africa
- The opportunity to directly improve millions of lives. By bringing sustainable electricity to a part of the world where 90% of people have no grid access. Few other activities can provide as fundamental impact to human lives as this.
- World-class medical, dental, and vision benefits
- Some of the smartest, most committed, and hardest working co-workers in a distributed environment
HOW TO APPLYTo apply, please follow the link below.
Don't forget to mention you found this opportunity on Cleantekker!